25 February 2009

duuuuuude...

I've had three coffees today (one of which was a double espresso) and very little sleep. Hence the incredibly eloquent title for today.

Ahem.


My heart is slightly pounding from all the caffine and little sleep, I'm in a city where I know no one and I don't know where I'm sleeping tonight. Not yet, anyways. But hopefully, soon.

(I love CS.)


HOWEVER,
I really got on here to brag, not to bitch.
Although, one could argue neither one is really above the other,
so I guess it doesn't matter?


This morning I said goodbye to my best friend after spending five days with her in the Detroit of Italy. I've never been to Detroit, but when I stepped out of the airport in Napoli, I thought to myself that I must be in the Detroit of Italy. I don't know why I thought this, but it seemed fitting.

After surviving Naples, both in terms of pick-pockets and calories, Emily and I trucked up to Rome and spent the night at the airport before getting her through secruity at 6 am to catch her flight.


How many people can say they've said goodbye to their best friend, seen the Colosseum, taken a four and a half hour train ride and walked across Ponte Vecchio all in the same day?

Damn. I feel lucky and sad all at once.


I had a great feeling earlier. But lets backtrack for a moment.

My first two days in Naples with Ems, all I wanted was to go home with her. I wasn't miserable, but I was... something. And slowly but surely, five days with one of my best friends and I felt like I was back to some sort of 'normalcy' within myself.

Funny how those who have known you best for 12 and a half years can do that to you.

So, dose of E.Palm taken, I felt fine and ready to stay out for another six months. I've been gone six months already?! Bah! That's nothing! Gimme six more!

Now, adrenaline wained and excitement from following my gut and taking the cheap ticket to Firenze (and subsequently becoming even more excited when the guidebook Ems so nicely gifted to me fell open to Florence when I thumbed it for the first time on the train!) gone, I find myself wandering cute, picturesque streets of this ancient city... wanting to go home, too.

I figured out what it was that flipped this coin:
American English

I hear it everywhere.


It's one thing to be travling solo and only hear a language foreign to you but it's quite another to be traveling solo and hear your home language spoken so freely on the streets.

It kicks in the loneliness.
And I've been around lovely, lovely friends for the past couple of weeks.


The long and short of it is that I need to find something productive to do prontissimo. I'm sick of traveling. I'm sick of sightseeing. I like seeing new things, but I can only be so lazy.

Besides, I prefer Vanity over Sloth anytime.

5 comments:

JaKe said...

I'm glad you got to visit EPalm... also glad you weren't on the Turkish flight that crashed.

carm said...

There was a Turkis flight that crashed?!

So glad I went back to Bulgaria first.

JaKe said...

Yeah flying out of Istanbul. Like 9 people dead.

Stacey said...

I think I felt that way when you left Bulgaria. Still have a position open for Nanny/Buddy. Crap pay, but free food and shelter ;}
I do think I can understand the loneliness, and its awesome you have a solution in mind...but how do you define productive? hmmmmm...

Stacey said...

Chestita Baba Marta, by the way! ("Happy Grandmother March" the 1st of March in Bulgaria) the National Holiday is on the 3rd, too. Lots of martinitsa wearing going on around here...