12 February 2009

seattle's second home

or "Highlights from Istanbul"


(one) walking out Evren's door and onto beautiful twisty, old roads with tiny shops

(two) eating mussels stuffed with rice on the shore of the Bosporus

(three) mosque dotted hill tops

(four) meeting folks who still listen to Pearl Jam and have watched "Singles" more than I have

(five) baklava

(six) history nights, watching "Crossing the Bridge" and "Galipoli"

(seven) new continent!

(eight) trying liver and liking three bites before the texture set in

(nine) birthday!

(ten) Man hitting on me: The Blue Mosque is that way.
Me: (grumbling) Thanks.
Man runs to catch up: Hey, hey! Where are you from?
Me: Listen, I'm sure you're a decent guy, but the last three guys who started off a conversation with me like that only wanted to have sex with me. So, if that's what you're looking for, I can tell you right now, that's not going to happen.
Man: (shrugs and smiles) I would have liked to try.

(eleven) the Haghia Sofia

(twelve) fish sandwiches on the Bosporus

(thirteen) the tiny baklava shop that is located near the fish market. if you need directions, just ask. I can't remember the name of the place, but I can guide you to it.

(fourteen) apple pie

(fifteen) Evren adding to his "collection"

(sixteen) new friends feeling like old friends

(seventeen) turkish coffee

(eighteen) the smells of the spice market

(nineteen) the smells of everything

(twenty) friends who check up on me slyly and politely like my best friends at home do when a guy is chatting me up at a bar (thank you)

(twenty-one) the glasses that tea is served in

(twenty-two) ferries

(twenty-three) cubes of sugar

(twenty-four) did i mention "baklava"?

No comments: